Abilities Centre is a charitable organization that delivers enriching sports and fitness, arts, research and education, and life skills opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. Located in Whitby, just east of Toronto off Hwy 401 and next to the Whitby GO Station, the Centre features a 125,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility that is easy to reach by car or public transit.
Since opening its doors in June 2012, Abilities Centre has combined barrier-free navigation and access with inclusive and innovative programs. Recognized as an International Centre of Excellence, the Centre serves local, national and international communities by providing resources and research tools that promote inclusivity and accessibility, while enhancing quality of life.
At the heart of Abilities Centre are the people whose lives are changed as a result of our friendly and welcoming environment. Every day, Abilities Centre helps people of all ages and abilities improve their health and well-being, increase their mobility, follow their passions and connect with their community.
Abilities Centre will enrich the quality of life for people of all ages and abilities through an inclusive environment.
- Abilities Centre will, through research and development, educate and inform all people on the need to celebrate the diverse backgrounds and conditions from which we all come.
- Abilities Centre will provide an environment of equality and understanding, enhancing the lives of people of all ages and abilities, and setting the standard to which all future facilities will be held.
- Abilities Centre will serve as an International Centre of Excellence, providing a framework for changing the social fabric of society and the way in which we view the integration of people of all ages and abilities.
WHAT WE BELIEVEAt Abilities Centre, we believe:
- in equal access for all citizens of our community.
- we learn how to relate to one another not by being separated, but by being together.
- we will raise the level of discourse about full inclusion and how to achieve it.
- we will be a model, in Canada and beyond, for how to operationalize full inclusion and achieve it.
- we can reflect true Canadian values of equality, acceptance, compassion and respect for the dignity and worth of everyone.
Abilities Centre's state-of-the-art amenities and world-class partnerships provide limitless programming opportunities.
View the Abilities Centre Charter of Rights (PDF)
View the Accessibility & Customer Service Plan & Policy (PDF)
View the AODA Self-Certified Accessibility Report - July 2013 (PDF)